LITTLE MOUSE BABY QUILT

 
Hello! I took pictures of my recently finished Little Mouse Baby Quilt last Monday and I was looking forward to share it with all you here since! But one lucky girl was flying to New York on Tuesday to spend three amazing days with my partner (see post I ❤ New York).

I arrived to California on Friday and after a needed relaxing weekend I am ready to it! :)
Be prepared ...lots of photos coming!



I used some fabrics from the line Fort Firefly by Teagan White. Before starting the quilt I was already in love with that fabric collection but now that I've used it, I love it even more! It's been a pleasure to cut and sew! Luckily I still have some leftovers but anyway I am thinking to buy some yards of the other prints too.

I am also really happy of how well the other fabrics I picked work together enhancing the beauty of the focal fabrics. I posted about all the selected fabrics here.


I had a lot of fun creating different combinations of economy blocks. I am still deciding which one is my favorite...all of them have something special! 

When I started planning this quilt I wanted the whole top to be made of economy blocks. After I made the first blocks I changed my mind and decided that it needed light between the blocks. Thus, I ended up cutting big diamonds of the Critters fabric. I love that fabric...a lot...so, this way I also avoided to cut it into little pieces! :) This little change made the quilt look so different, more cheerful and darling!

The quilt is made by sewing diagonal rows (this way all the blocks look like diamonds) and as two of the fabrics have a direction (Critters and Tree fort), I took care when cutting of maintaining that direction. I didn't want any crooked animals!



I quilted straight stitches right next to the seams when possible, creating triangles and squares. On the Critters blocks I quilted the central part as if there was an imaginary economy block except on all the border pieces where I just repeated the shape created by stitching right next to the seam.



For the binding I used a brown solid fabric. I think it complements very well the quilt top. And for the back I used a cream polka dot fabric as I wanted it to be simple and clean. I always like to have that fabric on hand!



Let me introduce that little gut to you! As I did with my Hedgehog Baby Quilt, it's becoming a tradition around here to make a fabric toy using the same fabrics of the quilt. This time I made a little mouse...or rat, there's an open debate at home regarding this issue :)... anyway it turned out so cute! I love it! I'm gonna make more for my little cousins.

Here's a final look to the whole quilt! I have enjoyed a lot making this quilt. I shared an inspirational board with some nursery elements that inspired me to make this quilt. Now looking back to it, I think that this quilt would look amazing draped over one of those wooden cribs.



You can find the pattern for making the Little Mouse baby quilt either on my Etsy shop or on Crafsty. The pattern is meant to guide you along the whole quilt making process and it also includes templates and directions to make the mouse softy for a little one!

Hope you get inspired!

Have a great week :)

Ingrid


37 comments:

  1. The colors are so wonderful and the whole quilt you can easily tell that you spent some time picking out fabrics that coordinated so well! Fort Firefly is a VERY cute fabric line!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ADORABLE! I love the color story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the prints in your quilt! They are so fun but also restful. The mouse is really cute, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing your fantastic project on The Inspiration Board at homework. I featured you in the spotlight!
    carolyn ~ homework

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet! What a great color combo and I want some firefly on hand too! It is truly lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this blanket is gorgeous! Thanks so much for linking up to the Create Link Inspire party! I've features this today at the sewing features and spread the word all around my social media. Would love if you could share as well ;o) EMily http://nap-timecreations.com/2014/02/10-sew-fun-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely use of the Fort Firefly Fabric. It pairs nicely with the other fabric choices. I especially love the polka dot fabric and think I have some in my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! Those fabrics are perfect for a baby quilt and I love the idea of making a softy to go along with the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. T'ha quedat preciós Ingrid! I el ratolinet, tot un detall!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's beautiful, Ingrid. Love the pops of aqua and the matching toy - sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks great, the mouse is cute too! I think it was a good idea to have the negative space between the economy blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilt and the mouse is just adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. the colors and fabrics in this quilt are too adorable. Love it!

    Thank you so much for sharing this at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very adorable quilt. Love how the colors play together.
    I featured it here at my blog this week:http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2014/02/made-by-me-115-linky-party-and-features.html

    Enjoy and have a great week!

    -Q

    ReplyDelete
  15. OHHH
    sooo cute!!!
    LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is gorgeous!! I love this fabric and you picked the perfect pattern to showcase them all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this quilt--and all the pictures! I'm going to spend some time going back through your archived posts. Where in California? I'm in central California (Fresno).

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful!!! I love these fabrics. I splurged on a fat quarter set, not sure what I am going to do with them yet. So far haven't gotten past the petting stage. :)

    ReplyDelete